The next High-Risk, High-Reward Research Symposium will be held on June 3-5, 2020, at the Bethesdan Hotel Tapestry Collection by Hilton in Bethesda, MD. The symposium brings together recipients of the NIH Director's Pioneer, New Innovator, Transformative Research, and Early Independence awards to share their groundbreaking research and discoveries. The symposium is free and open to the public. Join us for
- Scientific talks and posters from HRHR awardees
- Networking with some of the most creative scientist in the U.S.
- Scheduled one-on-one meetings with NIH staff during "Office Hours"
Who should attend?
- Recipients of the NIH Director's Pioneer, New Innovator, Transformative Research, and Early Independence awards
- NIH staff and fellows
- General public (students, lab workers, anyone interested in cutting-edge science and transformative discoveries)
Who are the presenters?
Only current NIH Director's Pioneer, New Innovator, Transformative Research, or Early Independence awardees are allowed to speak or present posters.
- For talks, the awardee must present.
- For posters, the awardee should present, but designees may be accepted under exceptional circumstances.
Awardees attending the symposium are encouraged (but not required) to participate in the program. Abstracts must be submitted for talks and posters and will be reviewed by NIH staff. There are a limited number of speaking slots and poster boards, and not all submissions may be selected for the final program. See the abstract submission page for more information.
What type of research is presented at the symposium?
The symposium showcases high-risk, high-impact research in topics spanning the broad mission of the NIH. It is unique in the breadth of science it covers and of the scientists it brings together. Past agendas and abstracts are available on the past events page.
Can I register now?
No, registration is not yet open but will likely be available in December.
Can I make hotel reservations now?
No, the room block for the symposium is not yet open. See the hotel/travel page for more information.
Who arranges and pays for hotel accommodations and travel?
All hotel and travel arrangements and payments are the sole responsibility of the symposium attendee. The NIH will not pay for or arrange travel for symposium attendees, including for selected speakers.
Where can I find symposium abstracts?
Poster and talk abstracts will be posted on the agenda page.
This page last reviewed on October 30, 2019