- Not Just for Undergrads
May 8, 2017
Internships are not a standard part of Ph.D. training, especially in the biomedical sciences, write Kimberly A. Petrie and Ashley E. Brady, but the tide is shifting.
- The New Face of US Science
January 3, 2017
Data showing how the biomedical workforce is fundamentally different to those of past generations.
- Making the Most of School
May 1, 2016
Agencies and institutions strive to better prepare graduate students and postdocs for futures in academia and beyond.
- A Bridge to Business
February 11, 2016
PhD holders should not underestimate their value to industry and the business sector.
- How to build a better PhD
December 2, 2015
A discussion of the issues with and potential solutions for dealing with the growing gap between PhDs awarded and tenure track academic positions available in biomedical sciences.
- New NIH division director shares plans for the future
September 2, 2015
A discussion with Kay Lund about NIH efforts and plans to address issues in the biomedical sciences workforce.
- Internships: Mind Wide Open
September 2, 2015
An innovative US National Institutes of Health program aims to expose junior scientists to different career paths.
- Emerging Network of Resources for Exploring Paths Beyond Academia
July 8, 2015
An expanding collection of resources is helping trainees acquire important knowledge about careers outside academia.
- Starting a National Conversation in Michigan
May 19, 2015
Representatives from over 110 institutions from across the country got together at the University of Michigan to discuss how to fix the biomedical training system.
- Transforming Training to Reflect the Workforce
April 29, 2015
The first annual face-to-face meeting of all 17 BEST awarded institutions representatives assembled to exchange information and strategies about their programs.
- Yes, you can attend that career event, says the U.S. government
December 17, 2014
Graduate students and postdocs now have official permission from the U.S. government to attend career events.
- Employment: PhD Overdrive
July 9, 2014
An excess of graduates means that job-seekers need to be versatile.
- Rock Talk Blog: Mentorship Matters for the Biomedical Workforce
June 6, 2014
The mentorship of early-career scientists is necessary to their individual career success and the future of the biomedical research enterprise as a whole. Recently launched NIH programs and tools aim to facilitate this important type of training.
- NIH Program Trains Scientists for Nontraditional Careers
February 24, 2014
NIH committed to two rounds of funding for the Broadening Experiences in Scientific Training (BEST) award program, supported by the NIH Director's Common Fund.
- Equipping the Next Generation of Biomedical Innovators and Entrepreneurs (White House Office of Science and Technology Policy)
November 18, 2013
This past September, the NIH announced “Broadening Experiences in Scientific Training” (BEST)—a $3.7 million awards program designed to help universities prepare graduate students and research fellows in the field of biomedical research for 21st century jobs, including those outside the traditional academic tenure-track.
- Rock Talk Blog: Diversifying the Training Experiences of the Biomedical Research Workforce
March 8, 2013
Another important biomedical workforce-related initiative that NIH is launching based on the Advisory Committee to the Director (ACD) working group recommendations.
- Francis Collins: Changes at the NIH
January 16, 2013
Director lays out workforce initiatives geared towards early-career scientists.
- Big hopes, small changes for biomedical research training
December 14, 2012
NIH unveils plans to implement recommendations from NIH’s Biomedical Research Workforce Working Group.
- NIH tackles major workforce issues
December 12, 2012
US agency aims to expand training options for graduate students and to increase demographic diversity.
- NIH promises to improve biomedical research training
December 7, 2012
Reacting to a steep rise in the number of young biomedical scientists seeking scarce academic jobs, the NIH plans to launch programs to prepare scientists for nonacademic careers, move students through their Ph.D.s faster, and bolster the pay of postdocs.
- Rock Talk Blog: Following up on ACD Recommendations
December 7, 2012
Following Up On ACD Recommendations, and Paving the Road to Continued, Future Success
This page last reviewed on September 15, 2017