2. HOW WOULD YOU SUGGEST THAT THE HMP SUPPORT THE R01 COMMUNITY?
Possible approaches could include yearly workshops that are open to all researchers, inclusion of specific R01 grantees as observers or ad hoc members in steering committee meetings of the HMP Research Network, and other suggestions provided at this workshop. Specific questions include the following:
- How can the Jumpstart Project effectively engage the R01 community that is doing similar work?
- How can the HMP effectively support the R01 community to carry out synergistic human microbiome research?
- How can the HMP respond to new discoveries and driving questions or hypotheses that will emerge in the field of human microbiome research?
- What is the best way for NIH to respond to individual investigators’ common need for information and resources in order to carry out their research effectively?
3. ARE THERE PARTICULAR RESEARCH AREAS OR SPECIFIC GROUPS FROM WHICH YOU WOULD SUGGEST THE JUMPSTART PROJECT TEAM SEEK INPUT?
Please outline what you think researchers in the areas suggested will be able to contribute to the Jumpstart Project. For example, the environmental research community has already developed strategies and tools for metagenomic research. What approach would you suggest for the HMP (Jumpstart in the near term) to engage them to take advantage of the lessons that they have already learned?