Summary of Funding
COMMON FUND ARRA FUNDING FOR FISCAL YEARS 2009-2010
Through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), the Common Fund received approximately $137M to be spent in fiscal years 2009 and 2010. The overarching goals for these funds are the same as for the ARRA funds distributed to the NIH Institutes and Centers (ICs) with the exception that the Common Fund ARRA funds support areas of research that span the missions of ICs and have been identified through the Common Fund strategic planning process.
As of September 30, 2010, the Common Fund has made 63 ARRA awards, 54 in fiscal year 2009, and 9 in fiscal year 2010. Most of these are new extramural grants. The accompanying pie charts show a breakdown of the Common Fund's total ARRA investment by year (Figure 1) and by funding mechanism (Figure 2). Nearly 72% of the Common Fund ARRA funding was distributed in fiscal year 2009 (Figure 1); the remaining 28% was distributed in fiscal year 2010.
The NIH Director's New Innovator
(DP2) awards and the Grand Opportunities "GO"; Grant (RC2) programs are receiving 12% and 34% of Common Fund ARRA funds, respectively. The Challenge Grant (RC1) program is receiving 13.5%; the Exploratory/Development awards (R21), 1%; and Research Project awards (R01), 0.8%. Specialized Center-Cooperative Agreement awards (U54), Research Project Cooperative Agreement awards (U01), and the NIH Director's Pioneer Awards (DP1) are receiving 7.5%, 2.9%, and 0.03% of the Common Fund ARRA funds, respectively. All of the Common Fund ARRA funds distributed in fiscal year 2010 (28%) are supporting the Common Fund's High Impact Research and Research Infrastructure program (RC4).
Up to Top